University of Edinburgh University of Edinburgh Archive and Manuscript Collections

Special Collections : Archival Resources

Coll-1167: Archives of the Patrick Geddes Centre for Planning Studies

The Photographs from the Survey of Edinburgh are part of a larger collection formerly held within the Outlook Tower on Castlehill. The collection as whole was catalogued while still at the Outlook Tower, this catalogue published as a 2-volume set Catalogue of the archives of the Patrick Geddes Centre for Planning Studies, the second volume focussed solely on the Edinburgh Survey photographs. It is this volume which has now been revisited, its contents keyed, with minor alterations, into a database, accessible below.

It is hoped to address the rest of the collection in due course. Meanwwhile a full digital copy of the first volume is available in pdf format (9MB file)

/1: Photographs from the Survey of Edinburgh


/G: The Vennel, Candlemaker Row


/1

Full reference codeColl-1167/1/G/1
TitleFlodden Wall, Venal
Original titleFlodden Wall, Venal
Datec1904-1910
CreatorSir Patrick Geddes
Scope and contentCrenellated south west bastion of the Flodden Wall. The window visible to outer ground level dates from 1876 (see 'Buildings of Edinburgh', Gifford, McWilliam and Walker; Lord Cullen 'The Walls of Edinburgh'). Beyond the bastion is the roof in Brown's Place where a chimney is visible; beyond that is the Castle in the distance. The wall on the right is the boundary of Heriot's School.
Author of original titleRobert Dykes
Negative numberGreen Box 53
Note
Related items